BY NEVZAT SAYGILIOGLU
Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who was re-elected as the President and received the majority of the seats in the Parliament, formed the Cabinet.
Appointments by the President to the Cabinet got credit as almost all ministers have made their names in their field, are experts, and are successful in their professional careers. There are also figures like Mehmet Simsek and Hakan Fidan, who have a reputation from the past.
The Cabinet members will begin their duties easily. The approval rating will be important.
There are five years for the Presidency. The government has both challenges and opportunities. Let’s look at them.
– Experiences of the past 21 years and the post-2018 period when the Presidential Government System was introduced. Different political, economic, financial, and social challenges.
– The heavy bill of COVID-19 continued uninterruptedly from the beginning of 2020 to the end of 2021.
– Ongoing problems of the Russia-Ukraine war are reflected in the Black Sea countries, Turkey, and the world.
– Severe destruction of the twin quakes that hit 11 provinces on February 6.
– Intense stress of the Presidential elections on May 14 and a very tough campaign period.
– The candidates gave promises during the election period. It’s time to keep these political, economic, financial, and social promises.
– Local elections will be held in March 2024. The loss of big cities, especially Istanbul, is a problem for the People’s Alliance. It will be a revenge of the government.
– Isolation moves especially by the West towards Turkey.
– Efforts to implement economic policies that marked the last three years. They are called the “Turkey Economy Model”, which is far from theory and even practice.
– The inclusive messages of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the public after his election for the second time are considered as an opportunity. Time will show its results.
– Ministers, appointed to the management of the economy, were welcomed. Mehmet Simsek’s appointment to the Treasury and Finance Ministry position was a good message for international finance circles.
– The new management of the economy is an opportunity itself in a period when the economy has hit the bottom. The new management is expected to eliminate these peculiarities at a point where the FX, interest rate, and inflation equation are disconnected from each other.
– Now, it’s time to change the top figures of the bureaucracy of the economy.
– The fact that the ministers are generally experts in their fields and have a successful background is also considered an important opportunity.
– Recovery in the judicial system is also perceived as an opportunity. The law is expected to be strengthened, and justice is expected to be solidified.
– A new opportunity has emerged to put the economy on the right track. It shouldn’t be missed on the 100th anniversary of the Turkish Republic.